The NOTEBOOK Madrid.comExpert facts from local expats since 2001
Moving to Madrid
Residence Requirements

For EU Citizens

From 28th March 2007 all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros or at a designated police station.
Since 2012, EU citizens applying for residency in Spain may be required to produce evidence of sufficient financial means to support themselves.

EU citizens must apply in person within 3 months of entry into Spain by presenting a valid passport, completing the application form and paying a fee. If applying to the Oficina de Extranjeros you need to make an appointment directly in internet on the website que está encima. However you will no longer be issued with a residence card but with a Residence Certificate stating name, address, nationality, identity number (NIE) and date of registration. If you already have a residency card no action is needed until it expires and then you will need to follow the same procedure.  

To get more information :
Call 060 which is the Oficinas de Atención al Ciudadano 

You have to ask for a "cita previa" (personal appointment). For this go to the above website. Information is in English.

You have to download the appropriate forms on the following website: 

For EU citizens the necessary forms include:
- You have to download and complete the Request for NIE form (modelo EX18).
- Original and copy of your complete passport or identification documents.
- Reasoning for your economic, professional, or personal reasons for requesting your NIE.
- In one of the following 3 addresses, obtain  the Form 790, code 012.  Fill-out the complete form and pay a fee fee of 10,30 euros at a local bank to receive approval.

Oficina de Extranjero 
Calle Manuel Luna 29 - Metro Estrecho

Plaza del Campillo del Mundo Nuevo 3 - Metro Puerta de Toledo
Calle General Pardiñas 90 - Metro Nuñez de Balboa                                 
Visit the website to know the address where you have to go.

The appointement will be at the following address :
Calle Padre Piquer 18 - 28024 Madrid 

For Non EU Citizens

These are constantly changing. Contact your consulate or home Office for information. However in general citizens of non EU countries who wish to stay for more than 3 months must have a residency permit. Application for this should be made at the Oficina de Extranjeros or your local designated police station. Before departure to spain a Visado de Residencia must be requested from the Spanish Embassy of the home country.